Great News for Zorro Fans!

Zorro Productions Inc has released the New World (Family Channel) Zorro TV series starring Duncan Regehr and Patrice Martinez through A&E video. For more information and updates visit http://newworldzorro.com or join the NWZ Yahoo group at http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/New_World_Zorro/



Through a Brightening Glass

Part III

by Kathryn Grant


Part III is dedicated to my brother and fellow-writer, Jerry, with thanks for his ideas!



The following hour found Felipe and Diego sitting with Don Alejandro in Zorro's cave, sipping hot cocoa and recounting the events of the evening.

"I'm glad Diego's potion worked quickly! " Felipe signed. "Lopez was at my throat!"

"It's a shame the potion can't erase his memory as well as putting him to sleep," said Diego with a frown. "There's little doubt now that he knows you're in league with Zorro. Felipe, you musn't be seen in the pueblo until we're certain Lopez is no longer a threat."

Felipe made a defiant motion.

"It's not a matter of bravery, Felipe," insisted Diego. "Lopez isn't the type of man to forget someone who has crossed him. And besides, now that he has most likely connected you with Zorro, what if he connects you with the de la Vegas as well?"

Felipe sighed resignedly.

"There are other ways to show courage, Felipe," Don Alejandro added.

"Yes, Felipe," Diego agreed. "Your help was invaluable tonight, as it will be in the future. I have no desire to injure Lopez or his dog, but we must find a way to take them both off Zorro's trail. Just how we'll do that, I'm not certain."

"How did he know I was there?" Felipe exclaimed through his gestures, the frustration evident on his face.

"I doubt he did, originally," Diego rejoined. "It's my guess that he had simply intended to watch Victoria's window, hoping Zorro would appear. When he realized he wasn't alone, especially after dark, he probably decided he couldn't take any chances."

Don Alejandro sighed. "And now what do we do?"

"I'm not sure." Diego thought for a moment. "You know, it's an interesting challenge, trying to stop those who mean harm to others, without  harming them unnecessarily. But there must be a way."

Don Alejandro said, "I would like to know more about Lopez—who he really is, where he comes from, what kind of past he has. Perhaps that would help us find something we could use to turn the tables."

"The satchel!" In an instant, Diego was at Toronado's side, opening the saddlebag.  He pulled the satchel out and held it up. "Lopez was wearing this. I thought it might prove useful."  He opened the satchel and carefully emptied the contents onto a nearby table. Disappointingly, aside from the sash, the satchel contained nothing remarkable: a few coins in a leather money bag, a hunting knife, and some rope.  Lopez was obviously a professional; there was nothing that provided any clue about his identity.

"I think I'll write to the governor in Monterey," offered Alejandro.  "Perhaps he will have heard of Lopez."

"Lopez may not be his real name, of course," Diego remarked.

"Quite right, son. I'll describe him and his dog. We can send Manuel to deliver the letter. And tomorrow I think I'll pay a visit to the Alcalde to see what I can learn."

"Good idea, Father. In the meantime, I want to have some kind of plan in place in case Lopez decides to do something to Victoria. It would be the logical next step for him."

"Hmmm," Don Alejandro said, closing his eyes momentarily. "What if Victoria pretended to be angry with Zorro and said, in Lopez' hearing, of course, that the two of you weren't seeing each other any longer?"

Diego thought for a moment. "Too risky," he said. "I'm sure he would suspect—rightly—that being in a fight with Victoria wouldn't stop Zorro from helping her if she were in danger."

Felipe's face lit up, and he signed, "Lopez would stop chasing Zorro if he thought Zorro were dead."

"Now that's true," Diego remarked. "Although I'm not sure how we could pull that off, especially by the time he wakes up tomorrow afternoon. Perhaps that's an idea that will come in useful later."

"Well, Diego, you could explain the situation to Victoria and have her stay with us until the danger is past."

"I tried that, Father—Victoria said she needed to be at the tavern."

"But that was before I gave Lopez the sleeping potion. It's more dangerous for her now," Felipe motioned.

"Well, tomorrow, when I talk to the Alcalde, I can tell him Victoria is in danger and ask him to post guards." Don Alejandro smiled wryly at his son. "Chances are, Lopez doesn't know how incompetent the lancers are. That might help."

Diego wasn't convinced. "Well, it's probably the best idea so far, but I don't think it's enough." He was silent for a moment, then said, "Perhaps Zorro should not wait for Lopez to come to him; perhaps he should take the offensive."

"Son, do you think that's wise? We hardly know anything about Lopez. Think of it—a man like Lopez probably has a price on his own head. Perhaps we could get him arrested legally. Why don't you at least wait until Manuel returns from delivering my letter to the governor? I'll ask him to send a reply back with Manuel."

It's certainly different having a committee involved with Zorro's decisions, thought Diego to himself; still, he was glad for his father's concern and interest. His father continued: "Let me talk to the Alcalde tomorrow; if it doesn't look like he'll help, we can insist that Victoria come and stay here with us until the danger is past."

"Very well, Father." Diego smiled at him affectionately. "Well, I don't know about the two of you, but I'm ready to retire."

"Me too," signed Felipe. The three of them stood and walked toward the back of the fireplace. After Felipe checked the view hole to make sure the coast was clear, they left the cave.

 

Victoria sat up in bed and yawned. The first pale hints of dawn were lighting the eastern sky, and it was far too soon. Despite the note she'd received from Zorro the night before, she had slept restlessly. The note had said Lopez would be sleeping until late in the day, but what would happen when he awoke? Certainly he would be angry. Would she need her gun? She could at least keep it in the kitchen during the day, even if she couldn't wear a holster while she served her customers.

Rubbing her eyes, she climbed out of her bed and knelt beside it to say her morning prayers. She would need heaven's help especially today, she was sure.

 

Alcalde Ignacio DeSoto finished his breakfast and pushed the tray aside on his desk. He had hardly tasted the food, so deep had he been in thought. The recent events with Gilberto Risendo had had an impact on him he never could have anticipated. They had called his whole life into question—his usual feelings of invincibility, his self-reliance, his casual disregard for others. For the first time, he was facing the effect his life was having on the people around him, and he didn't like what he saw.

His introspection was interrupted by a knock on the door. "Come in," the Alcalde said, and Don Alejandro entered the office.

"Good morning, Alcalde. I trust you are well this morning?"

"Well enough," responded the Alcalde, his face belying his words. "What brings you here, Don Alejandro?"

"I'm concerned because of a stranger who has recently arrived in town—Señor Lopez."

"Ah, yes, the one with the dog."

"That's the one," answered Alejandro, looking a little surprised.

"Yes, Sergeant Mendoza made a full report to me. Apparently, this Señor Lopez has come to track Zorro down and turn him over to the law."

"I'm aware that he wants to track Zorro down, but that's not why I'm here." Don Alejandro didn't trust himself yet to talk about Zorro to the Alcalde, afraid he might somehow give Zorro's identity away. So he continued, "He threatened Señorita Escalante yesterday; I'm worried that he might harm her or someone else in the process of tracking Zorro down."

Out of habit, the Alcalde was about to remind Don Alejandro about the consequences of assisting an outlaw, and his intention wasn't lost on Don Alejandro, whose felt his own defenses rise. But something made de Soto stop. He had been finding lately that many of his long-held assumptions, if not false, were at least questionable. Considering for a moment, he said, "Very well. I will post two lancers at the tavern: one outside and one inside."

Alejandro looked taken back; he hadn't expected the Alcalde to agree so quickly. "Well ... thank you, Alcalde. That is what I was hoping for. I'm sure Victoria will appreciate that."

"Was there anything else, Don Alejandro?"

"Actually, yes. I'm wondering if you know anything about Señor Lopez—where he comes from, what his background is."

"I'm afraid not," answered the Alcalde. "We only know he has come here to bring Zorro to justice."

"Hmmm." Don Alejandro pursed his lips. "Well, sir, I thank you for your time. Good day."

"Good day," responded the Alcalde, as Don Alejandro made his characteristic half-salute, then turned and left the Alcalde's office.

 

The day was already growing warm by the time Don Alejandro arrived back at the hacienda, and the cool inside air felt good after his ride. "Diego?" Don Alejandro listened for a response, but there was none. "Diego!" he exclaimed again. Still no answer. It used to puzzle him when he would come home at odd hours of the day and find the house deserted, but now he knew where his son probably was. He thought about going into the cave, but decided instead he would sit down and write the letter to the governor.

About half an hour later, Don Alejandro had finished the letter and sealed it, his insignia imprinted in the still-warm red wax. "Manuel!" he called. A few moments later, Manuel appeared. "Manuel, I need you to take this letter to the governor in Monterey, and let him know it is imperative that you have a reply before you return."

"Si, señor. I will leave right away." Manuel hurried away as Diego came around the corner.

"Father! How was your trip to the pueblo this morning?"

"I was able to speak with the Alcalde," Alejandro responded, looking pleased.

"And?" Diego asked quickly.

"And he is going to post two guards at the tavern. But he doesn't know anything about Señor Lopez except that he has come to capture Zorro. I just finished writing to the governor in Monterey, and Manuel has taken the letter to deliver it. He should return within the week."

"Very well, Father. You know, Lopez will be waking up around dinner time. I don't suppose you'd feel like having dinner at Victoria's tonight, would you?"

"I'd be glad to, son."

"Wonderful. Why don't we plan to leave after Felipe's lessons this afternoon."

 

It was unbearably hot on the beach in Mexico. And he was so tired! Lopez tried to wipe his forehead with his arm, but the effort was overwhelming.  So he tried reaching for his drink—his arm felt like it weighed at least fifty pounds. Somehow he lifted the glass to his lips and drank, but it was curiously unsatisfying, and he set it down again. Groggily, he swiped at the towel covering him. It was too hot. He gazed out at the water, now a blue-green blur.

Rubbing his eyes, he looked again. Why was he so tired? He shook his head, trying to clear it. Slowly his eyes focused, and it wasn't the sea he was looking at at all, but blue and green striped curtains, brightened by the late afternoon sun. Slowly he turned over, then tried to sit up, but the effort was too much and he fell back on the pillow. Hadn't he just been at the beach? Why was everything so hazy?

Gradually, the fog in his head cleared a little more, and he remembered where he was: not on a beach on the Mexican coast, but in Los Angeles, the city of angels. Angels, hah! he thought to himself as he recalled the previous night. If he ever saw that peasant boy again ... Obviously, Zorro had helpers among the peons. No matter, thought Lopez to himself. The previous night's failure only made him more determined to track down the masked man. Before, the hunt had been a job—but now it had become a matter of pride. He felt the anger in him rising. "En garde, Señor Zorro. You will not elude me so easily this time."

Lopez tried again to get up, but it was useless. His body still wouldn't respond to the commands of his mind. He gave up trying and lay there, thinking about how he could make Zorro pay.

 

Victoria started as she heard the thumping of boots coming down the stairs. She turned casually and saw that it was Lopez, looking hollow-eyed and disheveled. Forcing herself not to watch him, she continued on to the next table with the tray of entrées in her hand. Serving each of the four customers there, she glanced at Lopez out of the corner of her eye and stiffened. He was walking right toward her.

But he passed by without even seeming to see her and continued out the front door of the tavern. As soon as he was out of sight, she went to the lancer inside by the tavern door. "Follow him, Sepulveda," she whispered urgently. "I want to know what he's up to."

"But Señorita, the Alcalde told me to guard the tavern!" Exasperated, Victoria was about say something about common sense, but just then Diego and Don Alejandro rose from their seats nearby and came toward the front door, glasses in hand. Don Alejandro nodded reassuringly at Victoria, and they left the building. 

Lopez was already halfway across the town square by the time they got outside. Casually, they took a seat at one of the outside tables and watched as Lopez entered the Alcalde's office.

Looking off into the distance, Diego said quietly, "I'm going to see if I can do a little eavesdropping." He set his glass down and stood up.

"Be careful, son," responded Alejandro. "I'll watch here until you return."

Diego smiled at his father, and then strode across the town square and behind the Alcalde's office. Looking around and finding himself alone, he quickly climbed on top of the stone wall, and from there to the low roof of the stable. He crept stealthily across it and jumped into the inner courtyard. From there, he stole along the wall to the Alcalde's open window. In the still of the late afternoon, the voices carried clearly.

" ... a generous bounty," a raspy voice was saying. "I'm prepared to offer you half of it—if you will help me capture this bandit Zorro."

There was a pause. "Of course, Señor Lopez," the Alcalde responded. "Of course, Zorro must be brought to justice. My lancers will give you whatever assistance you require." Diego sighed inwardly. Would the Alcalde never learn? "But I must have your word," the Alcalde continued, "that no other person will be harmed. Remember, Señor, that you are not above the law. I will not tolerate threats or intimidation directed toward the citizens of this pueblo."

"Of course, Alcalde," answered Lopez. Right, thought Diego, raising a skeptical brow.

"So," the Alcalde continued, "do you have a plan to capture Zorro?"

Just then, Diego heard the sound of the door opening from the lancers' quarters. Grimacing, he slipped quickly into the stables and crouched down inside one of the horses's stalls. He heard the lancer open a door—it had to be to the armoury—then there was silence.

The minutes dragged on, and Diego's legs were growing tired. Cautiously, he began to stand up when he heard noises from the courtyard again. He crouched down again and listened. Voices. Another lancer must have joined the first. Diego listened as the two men chatted over the quiet clanking of metal. Then he heard a familiar scraping sound: they were sharpening swords. Diego frowned. They wouldn't  be done any time soon.

Resignedly, he made his way to wall furthest from the lancers. Looking first to make sure the way was clear, he hoisted himself through the window, then climbed up on the stable roof. Fully aware he lacked the usual protection of his cape and mask, he quickly made his way to where he could drop down outside the Alcalde's compound unseen. Landing noiselessly, he carefully brushed a few bits of hay from his clothes. Then he walked casually around the side of the building and back across the town square to his father, who was trying to make his guava juice last as long as possible.

"Hola, Diego!" Don Alejandro said cheerfully.

"Hello, Father," responded Diego, and took a seat at the table.

Lowering his voice, Alejandro noted, "You weren't gone long, son. What did you learn?"

"The Alcalde has agreed to help Lopez capture Zorro. The lancers are to assist him in any way possible. They were just beginning to discuss their plans when I heard the door to the lancers' quarters open, so I had to leave. Now, the Alcalde did tell Lopez he was not to harm other citizens—probably the result of your visit this morning. Lopez agreed to that, but I'm quite certain he did it only to secure the Alcalde's help. I don't think he would have any compunction about hurting Victoria if he thought it would help him capture Zorro. My main concern now is making sure she is safe."

"So what do you think we should do?"

Just then, Victoria came through the front door. Both men sat up straighter, and Don Alejandro said, "Ah, Victoria! How are you this evening?"

"I am well, thank you," she said distractedly, as she glanced around the town square. 

"He went inside the Alcalde's office," Diego said in a low voice, as Victoria smiled her thanks. At that moment, the Alcalde's door opened, and Señor Lopez stepped out. Diego sensed Victoria's tension increase, and he fought the impulse to walk across the square and confront Lopez then and there. His lips drawn into a thin line, he watched as Lopez paused outside the Alcalde's door and looked directly at Victoria.

Just then, there was a bark from the side of the tavern where Zorro and Felipe had left Lopez' dog. Lopez looked toward the sound, looked back at Victoria once more, then walked toward his dog.

"Victoria," said Don Alejandro quietly but firmly, "You should not stay here tonight. Not with that man on the loose. Please"—he looked at her entreatingly—"come back to the hacienda with us."

Diego watched as the battle in Victoria's mind played itself out on her face. He knew she didn't like the idea of running, nor of leaving the tavern when there was so much work to be done. But she also realized Lopez was a dangerous man, more so now that his first attempt to capture Zorro had failed. Finally she said a little reluctantly, "I must let Sylvia know I'm going, and make sure everything is ready for the evening crowd. And I'll need to pack a few things."

"Whenever you're ready," Don Alejandro said with a smile. "I really am very much relieved that you'll be with us instead of here at the tavern."

"I am too," Victoria conceded. She smiled at the two men and turned to walk back inside.

As she left, Diego smiled at his father and said quietly, "Thank you."

 

Victoria smiled to herself as she walked upstairs to her room. She'd let Sylvia know she would be gone for the night. She'd debated telling her about Lopez but in the end had decided against it, not wanting to frighten her. After all, Sylvia was not the one at risk—Victoria was.

Now that she was getting used to the idea, she was genuinely anticipating an evening spent with—yes, Diego! For the last several years, ever since she'd met Zorro, the excitement of their romance had been tinged with ongoing uneasiness, because she never knew when or even if she would see him again. But now all that had changed. Quickly she gathered a few things into her bag, then hurried back downstairs to Diego and Alejandro. She found the two men where she had left them. "I am ready," she told them. Together they walked to the de la Vegas' horses, tied in front of the tavern.

"You're not going to ride your own horse?" Diego inquired, surprised.

"I need to leave her for Sylvia, just in case she needs to go anywhere," responded Victoria. "Would it be too much trouble if I rode with you?" She could tell she had caught Diego by surprise, but the prospect of sharing the ride to the hacienda, just being close to him, was too good to pass up. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Don Alejandro smiling.

"Of course not," Diego said, sounding ever so slightly flustered. But always the gentleman, he helped Victoria up onto Camilla's back, then climbed up himself. Victoria smiled as Diego reached around her to grasp the reins. She relaxed lightly against him, resting her arms on his. She felt safer already.

 


The de la Vegas and their guest had just finished their evening meal. Now, as Diego glanced outside, he saw the beginnings of a brilliant sunset painting the sky. Should he risk taking Victoria out into it as himself? As they'd ridden home to the hacienda that afternoon,  he had wanted so badly to show his true feelings for her. He'd had to keep reminding himself that at the moment, he was Diego—and Victoria was not in love with Diego. But there she'd been, in his arms, leaving him slightly dizzy. 

For a moment, he considered slipping away and returning as Zorro, but he couldn't think of a good reason for Diego to disappear. And Victoria was one of the smartest women he knew. How long would it take her to put two and two together if he disappeared and Zorro suddenly appeared just moments later, right there at the hacienda?

Besides, the sunset wouldn't last long. But could he keep himself detached enough not to give his secret away inadvertently if he ventured out into the sunset with the woman he loved?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, he decided. "Victoria," he offered, "it seems a shame to waste this beautiful sunset. Would you care to take an evening stroll?"

He wasn't sure why he was surprised when she responded enthusiastically. After all, they were good friends, even dear friends. But there was something in her eyes. You're imagining things, he told himself. You're seeing what you want to see. Victoria loves Zorro, and tonight she will merely be walking with Diego. But something in him wasn't quite convinced.

They walked through the salon doors and out into the courtyard—the scene of their first kiss, Diego remembered. As he glanced over at her, she drew her breath in sharply. At first he wondered why, but then he followed her eyes to the horizon, which looked as if it were on fire. Brilliant hues of yellows, oranges, reds, and purples were spread across the western sky, and the sun's light fell in visible rays toward the earth. If Diego had ordered this sunset for the evening, it could not have been more perfect.

"You should paint this, Diego," Victoria said. "It is breathtaking."

Diego said nothing, but he nodded and stood absorbing the beauty before him, trying to memorize every detail. He decided then and there that he would paint it, as a gift for his future wife.

After a few moments, he said, "Would you like to walk outside the courtyard? We'll have an even clearer view."

"That sounds delightful," she answered, taking his arm. Together they walked to the gate, which Diego opened, and they strolled down the westward path.  Off in the distance they could see the buildings of the pueblo, looking like toy houses in a child's playroom. They walked in silence for a few moments, taking in the beautiful panorama before them.  Then Victoria spoke.

"Diego, may I ask your advice about something?"

"Of course!"

"I've been thinking—I've been running the tavern for a few years now. It's been a good experience. I enjoy meeting people and serving my customers. But I think I'm ready, well, to try something new."

"Do you have something in mind?" queried Diego.

"Well, actually, yes . . ."

Diego turned to face her, watching as she gathered her thoughts. "Lately I've been thinking about the children at the mission. Through no fault of their own, they've been left without parents to care for them."

"Does this have something to do with Sergio?"

"In a way, yes. Taking care of Sergio opened my eyes to how these children live. Padre Benitez is doing his best for them. But he needs help and he isn't able to hire anyone. The tavern is doing very well. I think I would like to teach at the mission school, perhaps just one or two afternoons a week to start with. Of course I'll talk to the Padre, but first I wanted to ask what you think."

What Diego thought was that he kept discovering more and more to love about Victoria. But aloud he said, "I think that's a superb idea! You have a way with children, and you're an intelligent woman." Victoria's eyes sparkled at the compliment. Diego continued, "The years I spent at the university in Madrid were some of the most significant of my life. They shaped the person I've become." More than anyone knows, he thought to himself, recalling Sir Edmund and his gift of the saber. "Few callings carry more weight than that of a teacher."

"Do you really think so?" Victoria asked.

"I do."

Victoria smiled warmly at him, and Diego found himself fighting to keep from taking her in his arms. It was becoming more and more difficult to maintain the unwelcome charade of just being friends. As he stood there looking at Victoria, he found his mind had gone blank and he could not think of a single thing to say. Victoria seemed at a loss for words as well. Tilting her head to one side she smiled at him, deflecting the potential awkwardness of the moment. Then she turned and took his arm and they started down the path again.

Without thinking, Diego placed his hand over Victoria's hand on his arm, then his breath caught as realized what he had done. Yet Victoria did not seem to mind at all. He felt the color creeping up his neck and hoped Victoria wouldn't notice. If he moved his hand now, it would just be more awkward. And the truth was, he really didn't want to.

They walked a few more paces, and Victoria broke the silence. "Do you miss being at the university?"

"Sometimes I do," Diego admitted, grateful the conversation was going again. "The university is almost like its own city. Students and professors are usually there because they love to learn. The whole atmosphere is one of inquiry and enlightenment. I found it energizing."

"Even when you were growing up, you loved to learn," Victoria recalled.

"It's true." Diego smiled, remembering the tutors his father had hired to prepare him for the university. "Science, philosophy, religion . . . during my lessons I felt like I was being turned loose in an orchard full of delicious fruit there for the taking. I wanted to feast on it." Diego glanced over at Victoria, his thoughts shifting to her. "It really is wonderful that you want to teach at the mission. I'm certain you'll make a difference in the lives of those children."

"I hope so," Victoria said. "And if I need help with any of my lessons, I know just who to talk to!" Again in the back of his mind Diego noticed that Victoria's smile and the light in her eyes seemed like something more than just friendship. It left him slightly off balance, and he almost didn't notice the faint smell in the air. "Victoria, do you smell something?

Victoria sniffed the air, then paused. "Why, yes, it smells like something's burning."

Diego looked back at the hacienda, but there was no sign of anything on fire. He turned and scanned the horizon and was shocked to see a plume of smoke billowing up in the distance. It looked as though it were coming from the pueblo.

"Victoria, I don't like the look of this. I'm going to ride back to town and see what's going on. You'll be safe here."

"I'm not staying here!" Victoria exclaimed.

"Come on," said Diego. He should have known, he thought, smiling to himself. The two of them sprinted toward the de la Vega stables. "You take Camilla," he said, and Victoria nodded. Within moments, they were galloping toward the pueblo. From this distance, it was hard to tell exactly where the fire was coming from. It looked like it might be coming from the church, but Diego couldn't tell for sure. Straining his eyes, he watched as the smoke expanded in the darkening sky.

It seemed an eternity until they reached the pueblo, though in reality it was only minutes. Diego was slightly ahead of Victoria, and as he rounded the church, he saw it wasn't the church at all that was on fire. It was the tavern!

This page last updated 27 February 2013. You are visitor .